Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Details


When I first launched this whole Family Dinner idea I splurged on two new kitchen items: a set of small "on the rocks glasses" that have a nice heft (as we used to say in the catalog biz), and a set of everyday utensils that match. Altogether I spent about $100 and had a gift card from my mom that took care of it. These things make dinner seem a little more special even when it's frozen pizza or ramen noodles. I keep the glasses in a low drawer so my youngest can help set the table. They weren't so expensive that I'd be heartbroken if she dropped one, although she probably would be. And they just add a little touch of formality that plastic tumblers do not.

I have to say that so far making the effort to all sit down at the same time at the same table to eat whatever I fix hasn't seemed like THAT much effort - but it makes a difference. There's usually some tension leading up to sitting down... I'm trying to juggle everything so it's done at the same time, everybody is hungry and a little tired at the end of their day. Once we sit though, most of that tension melts away. There's almost ALWAYS some laughter and a funny quote from one of the kids.

A few nights ago we were discussing whether or not Jello is actually made from horse hooves. Tillie said, "I think anything made from horse hooves would be crunchy." <3

No comments:

Post a Comment